We choose smoothies and proteins shakes because they do a few things:
- They are great for digestive sensitivity.
- Easy to make.
- You can make them to have all the vitamins and minerals you need for the day.
If you do not feel good or get benefit from your smoothie, here are few things to consider:
- Which milk do you use for your base? • Do I choose almond, coconut, soy, flax, hemp, macadamia, hazelnut, cow’s milk, sheep’s milk, goat’s milk, etc.? • Simply avoid any milk you have a known sensitivity to. If you do not know if you have a sensitivity, drink the milk alone and see how you feel within 1 to 2 days after consuming. See if you experience: – Flim, sinus congestion, bloating, gas, headaches, belching, stomach pains, diarrhea, nausea, brain fog! – If any of the symptoms occur, avoid and go to the next choice • If you are still uncertain, go get a food sensitivity test(blood, saliva, or bio-feedback) and confirm. I had multiple tests done myself and found I was sensitive to coconut, soy, cow and goat’s milk.
- Be Careful of Smoothie’s and Protein Shakes with multiple ingredients and nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals. – Vitamins and minerals are good in themselves. – Having too many nutrients in a smoothie or shake is like taking a handful of vitamins! – If your system is already sensitive or you have conditions such as MTHFR, Lyme disease, etc. getting too many nutrients can make you detoxify more than your body can handle. This can give you the above mentioned symptoms simply because you are forcing your liver to process more than it should.
- Definitely avoid any forms of excess sugars in your smoothie. I generally suggest to not add any sweeteners, such as-honey, maple syrup, stevia, monk fruit, sugar, etc. Some have low glycemic index, but you are training your body not to crave sugar, so it’s a good idea to avoid sweet things even in smoothies.
Every time I had a smoothie with coconut milk, I experienced headaches and brain fog all day. I accidentally missed a day of smoothie and no headache occurred. I found out by accident, but so glad I did…I was consuming so much coconut and it was throwing my whole body off – even with all the great health benefits of MCT and coconut milk.
I personally use hemp milk and hemp protein. I feel so much better these days. Check that smoothie!
Want to take a food sensitivity test to see what your body is sensitive to right now? Try Everly Well!
More Like This…
Maecenas et nunc quis urna sagittis venenatis vitae non enim. Nulla consequat quam vitae elit aliquet molestie. Ut aliquet, risus dapibus tristique tristique, est metus posuere massa, vitae ultrices tortor erat tristique leo. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per.